4.10.09

A Dog's Life

I was going to study for my Anthropology class, but then I realized, why study my standard, boring, categorical text books when I could just watch outdated documentaries and read books about explorer Bon Vivants in the 50's.


Mondo Cane was a 60's Italian documentary which catalogs the mot bizarre practices of humanity spanning cultures throughout space. I saw an especially grotesque scene of some tribal woman suckling a pig. Great stuff. More authentic than the politically correct crap I read in my textbooks. It also shows the more disturbing aspects of European culture like a formal dinner where the butler goes around emptying chamberpots attached beneath the chairs. A classic.


"Brutes and Savages". This isn't easy to find, I don't think it was published by any major publishing house, but it's a good one. Features glaring spelling errors and blatant mislabeling (of entire continents), this outdated book details the adventure of one explorer and his crew venturing into the heart of darkness. It also has some nice black and white photos of Arthur Davis with his various native correspondents decked out in full tribal wear. Very old school. Campy and also naively innocent of the world, a nice flashback into a gentler and more ignorant time.

No comments:

Post a Comment